Sunday, April 6, 2008

Have our state libraries or the national library evolved in tandem with the development of Malaysia?





I took the opportunity to visit the Singapore National Library (NLB) for the first time today as my wife’s company was running a community program there, and I am certainly impressed with the landmark library.

This building has great environmental features and was told more than 1/3 of its total site area is of gardens and vegetation. I am impressed not because of the smart building concept but their system in reaching the Singapore citizens and their on-going programs or campaigns in place.

A few thoughts came to my mind. Have our State libraries or the national library evolved in tandem with the development of Malaysia? Are we willing to admit if we are not? Are we humble enough to learn from Singapore or any other countries for that matter where there are things worthy of learning or improve on? Should we continue to compare with less developed countries such as Ghana, Indonesia and Vietnam or take a bolder stand to compete with develop countries such as Singapore and Japan?

I spent more than 2 hours at the Singapore NLB and had the opportunity to join a program where I learn without reading. It was an interesting program that Malaysia can emulate as part of our library event and I will share the details in my next posting.

The other thing I noted was the manner this library is operated—it is like a public listed company and transparent. The annual report with balance sheet is made available to public.

Have a look of the Singapore NLB website http://www.nlb.gov.sg/

No comments: